In the volume-control of RHEL-4, the following conditions have to be
1. The volume for both Mic and Capture has to be turned up (start with the maximum on both and reduce as needed)
2. The "Rec" - Checkbox for the "Mic" has to be checked
3. No other "Rec" - Checkboxes may be checked.
But on some systems the "Rec" - Checkbox of "Capture" has to be checked, too.
4. the "Mute" - Checkbox for "Mic" and "Capture" have to be unchecked.
5. After the above conditions are met, it may be necessary to uncheck the "Rec" checkbox for the "Mic" and then check it again.
( In particular this is necessary if other Rec checkboxes where checked prior to unchecking them.)
6. To get a decent volume, you may have to check or uncheck the "Mute"-Checkbox on the "Mic Boost ( +20db )"
Here is an image of how the VolumeControl should look like:
Hope this helps,
Interview on the Linux Link Tech Show. Please select Episode 154.
DemoRecorder featured in Linux-User Magazine (in German)